Jun 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, June 2017

This is my first-ever Bloom Day post!  In fact, I'd forgotten it was today and then turned on my laptop & saw Nan Ondra's (typically) amazeballs post--so I just now ran outside to capture a few pics...

The soil here (San Diego, zone 10a/23) is still holding a LOT of water from the crazy amount of winter rain we had.  But it's starting to warm up this week (mid-80s) and I'm hoping our newly planted heat-lovers will take off--so I can show you those next time :).

First up, the California natives in the front yard, planted this past winter...

Here's a Verbena Lilacina 'de la mina'.  The reddish soil is litter from our bottlebrush tree (decidedly not a native--but the birds love it so I couldn't cut it down).

Penstemon 'Margarita BOP'... these have been super-performers in our yard, which is nice b/c I LOVE PURPLE...CAN.YOU.TELL.?

And lastly, from the front...not a CA native, but looks good hanging in front of our purple door ;), Scaevola Aemula:

Now for the back yard, more of a subtropical, sorta Mexican/Latin-American theme, planted in March...

Pentas:

South African Jasmine, coming along w/ lots of buds :)

Rosa Sally Holmes--our first bloom cluster ever! She arrived from Oregon and we planted her under Jason's arbor in March:

A beautiful yarrow (I forgot which variety, sorry). I love the humble yarrow!

Last but never least, Tecoma Stans 'Lydia'... we have 4 of these--& they're probably the happiest plants in our backyard. They take extreme heat & ask for more!

I can't wait to contribute to the next Blogger Day.. Happy June, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Your world of gardening is so different than mine. I enjoy seeing what you have growing and blooming. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! I also love the very-different gardens of these posts :)

      Delete
  2. Lots of pretty blooms, but the Hanging Basket is outstanding!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Scaevola never disappoints--at least in zone 23 ;)

      Delete